PCMA scholarships in Cairo
The Scholarship Committee of the Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology, University of Warsaw grants scholarships to young researchers to conduct studies in Egypt. The scholarships have been awarded since the 1990s, and the funds for them are allocated by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
The application is open to students and graduates of Polish universities from the field of archaeology, Egyptology, oriental studies, history of architecture, history and conservation of works of art regardless of their citizenship. They conduct their research programs in cooperation with the PCMA Research Centre in Cairo.
Calls for applications are announced on the PCMA website in the first quarter of each year. Regulation on Granting Scholarships contains detailed criteria for awarding scholarships.
The PCMA offers:
– free accommodation in the lodgings of its Research Centre in Cairo
– free dinner six times a week (in the Centre’s dining room, 14 Nazih Khalifa Street, Heliopolis)
– access to the Centre’s infrastructure: phone (domestic calls), computer and printer/photocopier, as well as storage space (1 box per person)
– assistance in handling administrative matters in Warsaw (contact with the Ministry of Science and Higher Education and with the embassy in Cairo) and in Cairo, e.g., helping those who have been granted a scholarship for more than three months in the prolongation of residency or acquiring passes for free entry to museums (only for those scholarship holders who are also members of archaeological missions)
– assistance in case of emergency (police, hospital)
– for people coming to Egypt for the first time: free transport from the airport and introduction to the practicalities of everyday life (currency exchange, phone, underground)
The Research Centre in Cairo supports the scientific development of scholarship holders by:
– providing access to the book collection of the Centre between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. (at the Centre’s office, 11 Mahalla Street)
– organizing lectures and seminars
– informing them about events taking place in other archaeological institutions in Cairo
– writing letters of recommendation to other archaeological institutes in Cairo which facilitates access to their collections (e.g., to the DAIK, IFAO, ARCE and others)
– assisting in writing scientific papers and grant applications
The scholarship paid out in Egypt amounts to:
– 250 USD (students)
– 375 USD (graduates)
Required application documents:
1. Filled in and signed application form of the Candidate.
2. Photocopy of graduate diploma or confirmation of student status.
3. Statement of having read the guidelines of the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs concerning traveling to and staying in Egypt.
Changing the dates of the realization of the scholarship is possible only in exceptional and justified circumstances.
The scholarship holder covers the costs of travel to Cairo, Egyptian visa (including its prolongation) and insurance, as well as the cost of issuing other documents in Egypt. The scholarship holder must submit to the PCMA a report on the realization of the program upon his or her return.
The Scholarship Committee
Candidates will be chosen by the Scholarship Committee, appointed by the Director of the PCMA. Its members include:
Prof. Włodzimierz Godlewski (Institute of Archaeology UW)
Assoc. Prof. Tomasz Derda (Institute of Archaeology UW)
Assoc. Prof. Tomasz Scholl (Institute of Archaeology UW)
Assoc. Prof. Kamil Kuraszkiewicz (Faculty of Oriental Studies UW)
Assoc. Prof. Tomasz Waliszewski (Director of the PCMA)
Dr. Artur Obłuski (Director of the PCMA Research Centre in Cairo)